Nuffnang Ads

Friday, January 25, 2013

Say Yes


            


           “Miracles are everywhere. Sometimes, you just need to show up.”

          Many times in my life, I’ve achieved my dreams because I said yes. It doesn’t matter if it’s a small or big dream. When I was a young teenager, I watched beauty pageants and dreamed of joining one. But I had one problem, I felt so small and ugly. So, I never mustered the courage to raise my hand and say, “I’m joining.”

          Came college, it was a different story. My insecurities faded away. The positive environment encouraged me to pursue my dream. I was a freshman when my late PE professor asked me, “Khristine, why don’t you join the beauty pageant?” I just smiled, but at the back of my mind I thought, “You don’t know how much I wanted to.” But all the spots were already filled. So, I didn’t. In my second year, a beauty pageant scout asked me if I would want to be the next year’s representative for the College of Arts and Sciences. So, during the summer, I had a private talk with my mom at a local restaurant in our hometown. It was a warm afternoon, and I was swirling the spaghetti on my plate. We discussed about my options. We shared our thoughts with each other. We’ve come up with the decision to forgo the opportunity. My mom wanted to protect me from any bad publicity or anything that could hurt me. But when I came back to the university as a junior, my professor asked me again about my thoughts of joining the pageant. Deep inside me, there’s that still small voice that wanted to say yes. It became so loud that I can’t ignore it. I was fully convinced that I should join. I called my mom because I wanted to ask permission or should I say I wanted to let them know of my decision. She told me, “If you’re asking us, we don’t want you to. But it’s all up to you. The decision is yours to make. So, I did. Prior to going back to the university, I remember watching Ms. Earth. See how the preparation was done. Haha.. Aw. Looking back, I would say that everything fell into place.
I have a secret to tell you, and don’t tell anyone about it. Promise? Great! I look at the mirror, make faces, and smile every single day up to this writing. Crazy but I do! It helped me when I joined the pageant. While I was in the car with my fellow candidate, I wished that one of the judges would be a gorgeous commercial model. When we had our technical rehearsal, a gorgeous man walked behind us. Yes, he’s one of the judges! What a lovely sight! He was there looking at how we did. It was my turn, and he was telling me to smile. How can I not smile if he’s the one telling me that? Haha.. Seriously, everything happened as if it were a fairytale. Dreams do come true. I won as the second-runner up, and I got the best in talent award. I don’t want to remember what I did. I never imagined I would do that ever! Well, I did. Haha.. I’d rather sing. Aw. I think the judges and the crowd were amused. Thank you to my ever supportive coach who did a great job in writing the script and was patient in bringing out the characters I needed to portray in that comical skit. I never thought I’m funny until that evening. Haha.. Aw. I also competed in the Ms. Photogenic award, although I didn’t get it. But that’s wonderful to know. I was an instant celebrity that night. The next day, people whom I don’t know said hi. Guess what? The gorgeous guy in the photo was apparently the guy I was referring to. He offered me a modeling and showbiz career in Manila which I said no to because I had to finish my university studies. But that's a different story though. It was such an awesome experience!
          Why am I telling you this? It’s not for me to brag about the gorgeous guy who asked me to smile, the modeling and showbiz career offer, and not even the awards and the perks I enjoyed. It’s all about believing in yourself that you can do it. With clarity comes a great opportunity. It’s the same way when we approach God in prayer, we have to pray with confidence that He already answered our prayers perfectly. It could be a yes, a no or please wait. But you have to know that God knows what’s perfect for you. The miracles and blessings we need are right in front of us. Sometimes, we just need to say yes and yes, show up!

No comments:

Post a Comment